Thursday 5 June 2008

Proper English Day




Yesterday was great fun.  It was such a beautiful day so after class we decided to go row boats on Hyde Park.  Unfortunately the boats were under construction so we weren't able to do them, but it was still fun to walk around the park.  The parks here are HUGE!  Then we decided to walk to Buckingham Palace and take some pictures with the guards there.  Last time we went, the guards weren't on duty.  A man who worked at the museum told us they can only be on guard every other day because there are not enough for ever day because of the war.  That surprised me because I never realized how it has affected the people here too.  Anyway, we were lucky and the guards were out!  Then we really had nothing to do so we decided to go home to South Kensington and get cream tea.  Cream tea is just having tea with scones.  So as we got off the tube we ran into our teacher who is really into things like that.  She told us where to go and as we got there we could not find it at all.  We walked down Bond Street which is the most expensive shopping in town.  There was everything there.  You have to be wearing the dress code to even go inside the stores.  There were guards outside the store!  We saw a yellow diamond ring in one of the windows that was 57 carats!!!!!  WOW.  So we finally found the place and we went inside and it was the most amazing, beautiful shop ever.  We were definitely out of place in our jeans and dirty hair.  The cream tea was about 35 pounds a person ($70 american dollars!) so we decided to go somewhere else.  It was still fun to see the old ladies eating their cream tea.  Then we ran into a little cafe that had a pot of tea and a slice of cake for 2.75 so we decided to do that!  I got a chocolate cresant that was amazing.  I hate tea.  Later that night we went to the play "Twelfth Night."  It was in Regents Park in the open air theater and it was soooo cool!!  It was really fun.  Right at intermission I started noticing that my bum was feeling really wet, so I asked my friend if hers was too and she said no.  Then I was like "did I pee my pants and not realize it!?"  I was getting really nervous because like my whole bum was wet!!!!  So I sat up and my jeans were soaked, along with the padding on my chair haha.  And mine was the only one!!  Nobody else was wet, so it really did look like I peed my pants.  Then my friend lifted up the cushion on my chair and there was a huge puddle of water under it.  Only on my chair.  It was so random and the rest of the night I had soaking wet jeans and underwear, which made the cold even colder.  It was still fun though!  Today was our last day of class.  It's kind of a bitter sweet feeling that this is all coming to an end, but I would say its about 75% sweet and 25% bitter.

No comments: